Sunday, May 6, 2007

Dracula Challenge revisitted




OK..... so... I haven't explained this on this blog yet but here's a brief synopsis. For at least 6 years I have been TRYING very hard to capture Dracula. I find it very hard to draw him because I have a lot of Dracula baggage. I to this day in my closet have a tiny Dracula cape that my Auntie made for me when I was 6. The Dracula I want to draw has to encapsulate 26 years of Dracula fanaticism. Which is, I believe, impossible. It did occur to me that the Diabolical marker doodle below comes very close to an ideal personal dracula. Problem is that's a graphic, not a character. So this is my latest attempt at Dracula... again I kind of like the line version because the eyes look cool there but this MUST be a colour design or I will not be happy with myself. Regarding this design he's a little too young. I was considering a moustache, like in the original text, but I HATED that when I was a kid so I don't want to betray that. Even though now I don't mind so much. I guess this will remain the pseudo Udo Keir Dracula.... heh... Pseudo Udo.....

10 comments:

Tealin said...

Wow! That's really cool! He's slick, yet sinister, and looks appropriately timeless... kudos.

(I also vote no moustache.)

Sean Covernton said...

Kudo to the Pseudo Udo!

Tx!

Sloth said...

sorry man dont mean to be meen, but no positive comments today, while the character himself is ok, he dosent portray what i consider to be Dracula's finest qualities, just a few things to point out he is far to broad shouldered, has some sort of EMO striped pants and Asian dress shirt and cape combo, which i dont really think suits a man of his stature, as well as his bowleggedness seems like he'd have a waddling stride. also the definite absence of the collar on the cape comes to mind...

anyways bravo for the effort, and let the retaliation begin

keith wilson said...

This design works for me. We all know that dracula is totally the emo sort of guy, thats why hes number one with the ladies. Hes a sexy dangerous bloodsucker and hes in a band too.He ll steal your mother if you re not careful and she ll love him for it. I know he doesnt have big gargantuan arms and an orc face, but not all good designs have big gargantuan arms and orc faces.

Sean Covernton said...

Bless you, Mr. Wilson. Bless you!

Unknown said...

V coool design!

May Wa LENG said...

I like this image. Before even reading the text Dracula came to mind. And now i think its funny because you didn't use any cliche 'draculaisms'! So why did i think Dracula? You must have truely captured 'who' is, rather than 'what' he ought to be. I wish my version was as original.

William Bradford said...

It's a great design....

Michael Gushulak said...

I was considering a moustache, like in the original text, but I HATED that when I was a kid so I don't want to betray that.

That reminds me -- did you know that David Niven did a turn as the Count back in the '70s? And he did it in his mustache too, without which he would've seemed less than his charming self. Saw the film years ago, but can't remember much about it. I seem to recall that Dracula himself turned black at the end.

Sloth said...

where are your chiicken man and stripper ass face ?!