And so we continue with our regularly scheduled macabre programming.
I wanted to keep working on it though so I printed it out lightly and redrew it overtop and worked out the form. I don't know why I still find that WAY easier with a pencil than on my Cintiq.
Anyways then I went back in and was very strict about using the 3-tone shading system then I went in and did some refining work on the shading. Ultimately my goal was to remove the sketch entirely and work as though it's a painting like I've been trying to learn.
So I go on my merry way and eventually finish up, then decide it's better with a bit of the sketch in.
Just for fun I started applying bad photoshop filters to it when LO... one of them (Poster edges) looked kinda good. What I realize it did is reinforce the sketch underneath the painting and bring out some of the texture I'd lost in the process.
I do hate it when I rely on a blanket photoshop filter to fix things but I'll take it as a tool to throw into the toolbox.
I think the most frustrating thing though is that he looks so much less stiff and more realistic with the sketchlines in which was the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish.
Still I enjoy the finished result and happy to be enjoying playing again.