Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Vampires for Valentines


OK... few hours late. And I reserve the right to take this down and fix it when I see it without sleep-bleary eyes tomorrow. But for now here it is. The yearly Vampire Valentines day entry: Check. I was trying something weird with the painting here. I used no lines to define the silhouettes. Even in the first stages beyond a really loose sketch this was all blocked in with shapes and the details worked out through shadow. It was a very different way to have to think. I solved a lot of problems that came up... others never quite got resolved. All in all a lot of fun and an interesting challenge.

And it takes my mind off how much I hate Valentine's Day. Grump.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, I love THESE types of vampires. Not the stupid, effeminate ones from Anne Rice or stupid-gay Twilight.

Vampires should be scary monsters. Not brooding and angsty teenagers.

Well done sir.

Skid Knee said...

Looks great!

janis said...

How come this vampire isn't sexy? Not on board. ;)

Craig Wilson said...

Great stuff; the dropped line stuff really pushes the skin.

shane oakley said...

that is frekking gore-geous!
love the shapes, the no-lines, the comp and those clouds.
a most successful experiment - indeed!